Tuesday 5 April 2011

(The) Kids (Are Alright)



I chose this early Who/Pete Townshend tune as an exercise to learn how to program drum patterns. Keith Moon ... there's an exercise in eloquently demented patterns! As an exercise, I think it turned out OK. I like the overdrive I managed on the lead guitar, the Murfenbacker. Nice sound. I tried to mix Townshend with early '70s glam. The bass is a mix of my old Gibson bass and keyboards morphed into a single bass sound. Thanks to Ray Manzarek et. al. for the idea.

That Murfenbacker.... Woodathunk that a homemade Ric copy, made from an old, weathered birch table top with a rock maple table leg for a neck, loaded with 1960s Sears-purchased Silvertone pickups could sound so nice!? My favourite guitar, hands down.

Recorded using GarageBand and....
  • '01 Rickenbacker 360/6
  • '04 Rickenbacker 370/12
  • '86 Murfenbacker 6-string 
  • '68 Gibson EB-O Custom
  • Kawai keyboard with voicings facilitated by GB
  • Drums programmed & played through GB's Musical Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment